GUIDING PRINCIPLES FOR ST. JOHN CODE OF BEHAVIOUR
All students, parents, teachers and staff have the right to be safe and feel safe, in their school community. With this right comes the expectation to be responsible citizens and to be accountable for actions that put at risk the safety of others or oneself.
The following Code of Behaviour outlines principles and behavioural expectations for all, so that everyone knows and understands their rights and responsibilities.
- The Code of Behaviours applies to all individuals whether on school property, on the school buses, or at school sanctioned events in the community.
- All persons are to be treated with dignity and respect. It is the responsibility of all to know their rights and responsibilities.
- All school members are expected to use non-violent means to resolve conflict.
- It is the responsibility of parents, teachers and students to work together to create a safe learning environment for all.
- To respect civility and create responsible citizenship all members must be encouraged to:
– demonstrate gospel values.
– treat one another with dignity and respect, especially in disagreements.
– respect and treat others fairly, regardless of race, ancestry, place of origin, citizenship, religion,
gender, sexual orientation, age or disability.
– give assistance to those in need.
– respect the rights of others to work in an environment of learning and teaching.
DISCIPLINE AT ST. JOHN
- Is centered on the teaching of Christ
- Is taught and encouraged through positive discipline approaches and Restorative Practice
- Is guided by the Code of Behaviour
The Code of Behaviour is consistent with expectations from the Ontario Ministry of Education and the Catholic District School Board of Eastern Ontario.