Dominican Republic Service Trip
Meaningful. Sustainable. Unforgettable.
In February of 2024, five SJCHS students will travel across the Dominican Republic, taking a cultural journey into the local communities of the northern coast. While they will be immersed in the local heritage, they will gain insight into the issues impacting local children today. Working together with local non-profits and community members, they will help build sustainable solutions to the educational, social, and economic challenges they face.
Working side by side with locals, these students will gain insight into the challenges they face and build lasting solutions to help empower the community. Projects will include:
- Tutoring local students in English
- Educating village members about community health issues
- Mentoring children in the community through after-school activities and programs
Students will develop and strengthen their leadership skills through activities and workshops. Exercises will include:
- Investigating global issues, exploring social justice, and building leadership skills in expert-led workshops
- Contextualizing the day’s events through thoughtful discussion and group dialogue
- Reflective journaling to deepen the service experience.